SHENANDOAH VALLEY WESTMINSTER-CANTERBURY
300 Westminster Canterbury Dr.
Winchester VA 22603
TITLE: Receptionist/Telephone Operator – Per Diem
DEPARTMENT: Resident Relations
RESPONSIBLE TO: Reception and Transportation Supervisor
JOB SUMMARY: Operates switchboard. Greets and directs visitors, residents and staff entering the Main Entrance to Lawrence Hall and the Assisted Living Building Wappacomo Hall, Winchester Hall and Shenandoah Hall.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, LICENSURE:
- High School Diploma/GED or equivalent work experience required.
- Clerical and basic typing skills required.
- Previous experience in a position which has substantial public contact preferred.
- Support the mission and purpose of SVWC.
- Support the Board of Trustees and Administration.
- Present a professional, caring image.
- Employment and annual Tuberculosis testing as required by Virginia State Licensure.
- Must attend annual mandatory in-services required by the State Licensure and all other mandatory in-services and/or meeting required by other regulatory agencies and/or by SVWC.
- Follows and supports the policies and procedures established by SVWC.
- Practices good customer relations at all times.
- Must be familiar with and be able to implement new services for residents.
- Acts as a receptionist/multi phone operator. Answers the telephone and routes calls to appropriate department or individuals, greets residents and visitors and directs them as required.
- Performs various clerical duties to include but not limited to: operation of office equipment (typewriter, copy machine, fax machine, etc.) and organizing packets of information, etc.
- Sorts in-house mail for residents and employees’ mailboxes and delivers.
- Sells postage stamps and other items that pertain to resident activities and prepares boxes for mailing.
- Checks guests in and out of guest rooms and makes reservations for guest apartments.
- Understands and operates emergency and other communication systems and equipment.
- Observes for changes in or concerns of residents, and conveys these to supervisor.
- Must possess ability to be calm in unusual circumstances and to exercise good judgment.
- Receives deliveries for residents.
- Responsible for reservations for residents with SVWC vehicles.
- Able to access list of persons who can enter a resident’s apartment or cottage in resident’s absence.
- Must abide by all SVWC policies and procedures related to confidentiality of resident information and employee information, including all HIPAA policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
UNIVERSAL PRECAUTION RISK CLASSIFICATION:
Category D: The person holding this position understands Universal Precautions Risk Classification categories apply to this position and the individual may be exposed to AIDS< HIV, and Hepatitis B viruses. Tasks that involve no exposure to Blood, Body Fluids, or Tissues. The normal work routine involve no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids.)
The physical demands described her are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform he essential functions.
- Must be able to visually identify and discern printed words on either typewritten pages or computer screen.
- Must be able to identify and differentiate colors.
- Must have depth perception within normal ranges.
- Must be able to respond to spoken words and other auditory sounds including the ringing of telephone or beepers and monitors.
- Must be able to respond and communicate orally by telephone.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- Must be able to use, operate and interpret information from equipment in work area.
- Must be able to verbally communicate in the English language directly and over the telephone and be understood.
RANGE OF MOTION
- Must have mobility for all parts of the body, walking, bending, lifting, reaching above head and use of hands.
- Must have manual dexterity and fine motor skills (typing, computer, etc.)
- Some tasks may require sitting for 90% of the workday.
- Must be able to stand and/or mobilize by walking for 10% of an 8-hour shift.
- Must be able to work under stress
- Must be able to work a rotating shift.
- Must be able to work “on call” (some employees on occasion.)
- Must be able to deal with verbally and physically combative patients.
- Must have mental capacity to fulfill the requirements of the job including problem solving, logic, communication and numerical calculations.
- Must be able to read and understand written instructions in English.
- Accurate recall and memory.
- Must be able to use judgment in making decisions and choices.
- Ability to analyze numbers and make basic mathematical calculations.