SHENANDOAH VALLEY WESTMINSTER-CANTERBURY
300 Westminster Canterbury Dr.
Winchester VA 22603
TITLE: Groundskeeper DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: Maintenance Coordinator
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Grounds Crew
JOB SUMMARY: Maintains facility grounds in an aesthetic and well preserved manner.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, LICENSURE:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous grounds keeping experience preferred.
- Valid drivers license required.
- Support the mission and purposes of SVWC.
- Support the Board of Trustees and Administration.
- Present a professional, caring image.
- Employment and annual Tuberculosis testing as required by Virginia State Licensure.
- Must attend mandatory inservices required by the State Licensure and all other mandatory inservices and/or meetings required by other regulatory agencies and/or by SVWC.
- Follows and supports the policies and procedures established by SVWC.
- Plants shrubs, flowers and grass; trims shrubs and grass; takes care of minor tree trimming and fertilizes trees and shrubs.
- Operates/uses tools, including power tools such as power sprayer, fertilizer spreader, hoes, shovels, mechanical lawn sweeper and snow blower, etc.
- Performs preventive maintenance of equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to work independently.
- Keeps sidewalk, parking area and lawn in excellent appearance and litter free.
- Removes snow using manual shovel / snow blower / or truck plow / tractor.
- Other duties as assigned.
UNIVERSAL PRECAUTION RISK CLASSIFICATION:
Category C: The person holding this position understands Universal Precautions Risk Classification categories apply to this position and the individual may be exposed to AIDS, HIV, and Hepatitis B viruses. Tasks that involve no exposure to Blood, Body Fluids, or Tissues. The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to visually identify and discern printed words on either typewritten pages or computer screen.
- Must be able to identify and differentiate colors.
- Must have depth perception within normal ranges.
- Must be able to respond to spoken words and other auditory sounds including the ringing of telephone or beepers and monitors.
- Must be able to respond and communicate orally by telephone.
- Heavy lifting required (over 50 pounds occasionally and 50 pounds repetitively from ground level to shoulder height.)
- Must be able to push and maneuver carts/stretchers/space saver loaded with weights of 50 pounds.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- Must be able to maneuver 100lb mower for 7 hours.
- Must be able to handle power tools for 100% of an 8 hour shift.
- Must be able to use, operate and interpret information from equipment in work area.
- Must be able to communicate and be understood.
RANGE OF MOTION
- Must be able to climb (ladders and such) and be able to reach and balance from the ladders.
- Must be able to walk continually for 2 hours.
- Must be able to stand for 2 hours.
- Must have mobility of all parts of the body, walking, bending, lifting, reaching above head and use of hands.
- Must be able to stand and/or mobilize by walking for 100% of an 8 hour shift.
- May be required to work near or with voltages (up to 480 volts AC).
- May have to work in hot (over 80 degrees F) or cold (under 10 degrees F) environment.
- Must be able to work under stress.
- Must be able to work overtime (and some employees work rotations or call schedules).
- Must be able to work a rotating shift.
- Must be able to work “on call.” (some employees on occasion).
- Must be able to deal with verbally and physically combative patients.
- Must be able to work out of doors in varying types of weather.
- Must be able to utilize or wear protective equipment or apparel in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Must be able to work within confined spaces.
- Must have mental capacity to fulfill the requirements of the job including problem solving, logic, communication and numerical calculations.
- Must be able to understand instructions.
- Accurate recall and memory.
- Must be able to use judgment in making decisions and choices.
- Ability to analyze numbers and make basic mathematical calculations.