SHENANDOAH VALLEY WESTMINSTER-CANTERBURY
300 Westminster Canterbury Dr.
Winchester VA 22603
TITLE: Bartender – Tavern DEPARTMENT: Dining Services
RESPONSIBLE TO: FOH Manager
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for creating a pleasant experience for customers. Duties include operating cash register, reports, restocking, ordering and maintaining alcohol inventory, Lunch/Diner beverage and food service, closing cleaning duties and other duties assigned. Reports all progress to Manager.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, LICENSURE:
- Minimum two years professional experience tending bar required.
- Basic reading, writing and math skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Support the mission and purpose of SVWC.
- Support the Board of Trustees and Administration.
- Present a professional, caring image.
- Must be able to achieve ServSafe ABC Certification.
- Employment and annual Tuberculosis testing as required by Virginia State Licensure.
- Must attend annually mandatory inservices required by the State Licensure and all other mandatory inservices and/or meeting required by other regulatory agencies and/or by SVWC.
- Follows and supports the policies and procedures established by SVWC.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Ensures smooth operation of the Tavern.
- Provides service in the Tavern and Main Dining Room (MDR) bar, as well as special functions when needed.
- Provides excellent customer service for clientele to create an enjoyable dining experience.
- Set service bar takes customer orders, serves food and beverage, answers inquiries about the menu and beverage and tends to residents requests.
- Ensures that all closing procedures are followed properly.
- Restocks the Tavern throughout operating hours and at closing to include drinks, food, utensils, napkins, condiments, etc.
- Serves private parties and special functions, including Bistro functions.
- Operates the cash register in accordance with Bistro cash handling procedures. Reports any variances to the cash drawers with the Bistro Manager.
- Takes inventory and keeps accurate stock of liquor, wine and beer.
- Assists and oversees training of all new Tavern staff.
- Reports any unusual situations directly to Bistro Manager, Assistant Director of Dining Services or Manager on Duty.
- Has general knowledge of specific equipment cleaning and operating procedures of all equipment in the Bistro.
- Follows and supports the policies and procedures established by the Dining Services Department.
- Attends department’s mandatory meetings.
- Maintains a professional, clean, and neat appearance according to Dining Services dress code.
- Must be dressed in appropriate and complete uniform which is neat and clean.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
UNIVERSAL PRECAUTION RISK CLASSIFICATION:
Category D: The person holding this position understands Universal Precautions Risk Classification categories apply to this position and the individual may be exposed to AIDS, HIV, And Hepatitis B viruses. Tasks that involve no exposure to Blood, Body Fluids, or Tissues. The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to visually identify and discern printed words on either typewritten pages or computer screen.
- Must be able to identify and differentiate colors.
- Must have depth perception within normal ranges.
- Must be able to respond to spoken words and other auditory sounds including the ringing of telephone or beepers and monitors.
- Must be able to respond and communicate orally by telephone.
- Must be able to push and maneuver carts/stretchers/space saver loaded with weights of 10 pounds.
- Heavy lifting required (over 10 pounds occasionally and 5 pounds repetitively from ground level to shoulder height.)
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- Must be able to use, operate and interpret information from equipment in work area.
- Must be able to maneuver a 100 lb. Bus Cart for 2 hours out of an 8-hour shift.
- Must be able to verbally communicate in the English language directly and over the telephone and be understood.
RANGE OF MOTION
- Must have mobility for all parts of the body, walking, bending, lifting, and reaching above head and use of hands.
- Must be able to kneel or squat for 2 hours of an 8-hour shift.
- Must be able to walk continually for 7 hours.
- Must have manual dexterity, fine motor skills (typing, computer, etc.)
- Must be able to stand for 7 ½ hours straight.
- Some tasks may require sitting for 5% of the workday.
- Must be able to stand and/or mobilize by walking for 95% of an 8-hour shift.
- May be required to work near or with voltages (up to 480 volts AC).
- May have to work in hot (over 90 degrees F) environment.
- Must be able to work under stress.
- Must be able to work overtime.
- Must be able to work a rotating shift.
- Must be able to work “on call.”
- Must be able to utilize or wear protective equipment or apparel in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Must have mental capacity to fulfill the requirements of the job including problem solving, logic, communication and numerical calculations.
- Must be able to read and understand written instructions in English.
- Accurate recall and memory.
- Must be able to use judgment in making decisions and choices.
- Ability to analyze numbers and make basic mathematical calculations.